Wednesday, December 30, 2009

What is your call?

I just came across this by Bono. He made this speech when he recieved the NAACP award. It was heavy.

"God has a special place for the poor. The poor are where God lives. God is in the slums, in the cardboard boxes where the poor play house. God is where the opportunity is lost and lives are shattered. God is with the mother who has infected her child with a virus that will take both thier lives. God is under the rubble, in the cries we hear during war time. God is with the poor and God is with us if we are with them."

"WHERE you live should not decide WHETHER you live or WHETHER you die."

Pure and lasting religion in the sight of God our Father means that we must care for orphans and widows in their troubles, and refuse to let the world corrupt us. James 1:27

Eighty seven percent of women in Kazakhstan have been raped or molested. It is a staggering number!! Innocent children are often the result of this in-humane treatment of women. Mothers often have no other choice but to give their children away due to strict religious beliefs. Families will not allow the shame of a "bastard" child to taint their family, when often times it was a family member who committed the offense!!

God desires our hearts to be broken when we hear these things. The second part of James 1:27 states that we should refuse to let the world corrupt us. It is so easy to turn a blind eye. To become callous. Media shows so much violence, and when we see or hear these statistics, we just rack it up as one more problem today. I have so often turned off these statistics out of self-preservation. I feel like I can't hear one more thing. I become so used to hearing these that I no longer let it reach my heart. But God hears.... He sees.... and He moves on peoples hearts to hear. Every one of us has a call on our lives to serve God. I cant help but cry now... My heart breaks... But isn't that where God wants us to be? When we begin to hear and we open our eyes to see, it is often times painful. Can you imagine what God must go through every second of every day?

My desire is not to preach. I don't believe that everyone is called to the same thing. We all are different parts of the Body of Christ and we all have different functions. I'm not saying that you should adopt, that is God's call for me. My hope is only that what I have written will cause you to think, mull it over, and listen closely to God. What is your call?

No comments:

Post a Comment